A 25 year old mother has been left with permanent stomach scarring after undergoing a cut-price fat-freezing procedure, it was reported by the Mail Online.
Jessie Hawking, a former retail worker, was left feeling deeply unhappy about the appearance of her body after giving birth to her first child. With her self-esteem at an all time low, she spotted an advert on Facebook promoting discounted sessions of cryolipolysis, a non-surgical alternative to liposuction. The advert described a non-invasive treatment where fat cells are frozen and destroyed with the use of a vacuum suction device.
Tempted by the affordable £100 price-tag – discounted from the usual £650 – Jessie booked herself a session. Unfortunately, an uncomfortable burning sensation during the procedure developed into intense pain later that night. By the morning a huge blister had appeared causing Jessie to rush to A&E where she discovered the doctor had never heard of cryolpolysis and informed her she had a painful second degree burn and a wound which needed draining. Jessie’s stomach remained swollen for three weeks and has been left with permanent scarring and pigmentation at the treatment site.
It was reported that the practitioner delivering the treatment was not a qualified doctor but a hairdresser. Despite the threat of legal action, the clinic has denied liability.
Mike Saul, Head of Cosmetic Surgery Negligence here at TJL Solicitors, commented, “This is a frightening story which demonstrates the need for regulation in the cosmetic surgery industry. Without proper regulation, patients can never take for granted that a practitioner is experienced and qualified or that a procedure is reasonably safe – thorough research is absolutely essential.”