Tooth Extraction Claims
Have you had the wrong tooth removed during a dental extraction? Have you suffered as a result of a botched procedure? If so, the experts at Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors can help you make a claim for compensation.
We have years of experience helping our clients claim following negligent dental work that has left them in pain and lacking confidence. All dental professionals have a duty to protect their patients, but we are here to support those who haven’t been afforded this care during what should be a straightforward procedure.
Since becoming the first legal practice in England and Wales to specialise in cosmetic surgery negligence, we have recovered more than £3million in compensation to help our clients get their lives back on track.
CONTACT US TODAY
To get in touch with us and tell us more about your case, call 0800 634 0285 or arrange for us to call you back by using our online contact form.
About dental extractions
Dental extraction, or having a tooth removed, is a particularly common dental treatment. It is performed for a variety of reasons, from incorrectly aligned wisdom teeth to irreparable dental damage or decay. The surgery is performed under local anaesthetic but is a standard dental practice and not a particularly complicated procedure.
The extraction procedure
Dentists will typically take the following steps to remove a tooth:
- Give you local anaesthetic. If you are having multiple teeth taken out, your dentist may give you a general anaesthetic
- If the tooth is impacted, your dentist will cut away the gum and bone tissue covering the tooth
- Forceps will be used to loosen the tooth from both the jaw bone and the ligaments that hold it in place. If the tooth is particularly difficult to remove, it may need to be extracted in pieces.
- After the tooth has been removed, a blood clot will form in the tooth socket. Your dentist will place a gauze pad on the socket and ask you to bite down to prevent bleeding.
- Sometimes, dissolvable stitches are needed to close the gum edge.
What can go wrong?
While dental extraction is a fairly simple procedure, there can be possible complications if it is carried out negligently by your dentist.
As fully trained professionals, dentists have a duty of care to their patients – if they act negligently in any way and, for example, remove the wrong tooth, then you could make a claim against them for any costs and pain that you incur.
The consequences of negligent dental extraction can include the following:
- Nerve damage, resulting in a loss of dental mobility or sensation. This damage may prevent the victim from experiencing proper function across their face, from the eyes to the mouth, and may be permanent, with some patients unable to properly chew due to dental damage, along with periodic pain in the affected region
- The development of an oroantral fistula when the upper teeth are operated on. This is a bridge between the dental surgery’s location and the sinus, which may require further surgery
- Removal of the wrong tooth
- Wrongful removal of too many teeth
- “Dry socket” – a dull, aching sensation in the gum or jaw
- Infected gum tissue
- Excessive scarring
- Harmful bacteria entering the bloodstream, causing severe infection
- Excessive discharge, swelling and redness from the infected area
- An adverse reaction to the anaesthetic
- Excessive bleeding
Making a claim with Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors
Let us help you take the stress out of your compensation claim. With our experience and expertise you can rest assured that we will put you in a great position to recover the financial award you deserve for your pain and suffering.
But that’s not the full extent of our service. We make sure that, as well as receiving our knowledge and guidance, you also receive our utmost care and attention. We know how hard it can seem to make a claim – often you can feel alone and unsure of where to turn. However, we make sure we are there for our clients so that the process is as hassle-free and painless as possible.
One client of ours recently said: “I expected that a company of this stature would be highly competent and very professional – and it was. What I did not expect was that I would be treated with such respect and understanding – but I was,” Linda, Manchester
To read more testimonials from our clients, visit this page.