Request a Callback

* Indicates a required field

Breast Augmentation Claims: Questions and Answers

Breast augmentation is surgery that involves enhancing your breasts with implants. This can make your breasts look larger and is often referred to as breast enlargement or a ‘boob job’. This is one of the most common cosmetic surgeries carried out in the UK, yet sometimes there may be complications.

If you have had breast augmentation surgery and have been left with poor results or injury, you may be able to make a claim. Below we look at the common breast augmentation claim questions and answers, so you can find out whether you have a case. 

What is medical negligence?

Medical negligence is inadequate care that results in injury or poor results for the patient. As a medical professional, a cosmetic surgeon has a duty of care and could be liable if they make a mistake that could have been avoided. 

With breast augmentation, medical negligence could cause poor results such as uneven breasts or a leaking implant. This could be caused by poor equipment or because the surgeon did not follow the correct procedures. 

Any plastic surgeon must be registered with the GMC (General Medical Council) if they are conducting surgery in the UK. You can check whether your surgeon is registered and has a licence through the GMC website.

What are the common reasons to claim after breast augmentation surgery?

Many things can go wrong after and during breast augmentation surgery. Your surgeon should have discussed any risks with you before you had your procedure, so you can consent and make an informed decision about your health.

The most common reasons to claim after breast augmentation surgery include:

  • Asymmetry of breast size or shape
  • Asymmetric or inappropriately placed nipples
  • Inappropriately positioned implants
  • Inappropriate scarring
  • Symmastia (confluence of the breasts in the midline)
  • Double bubble (double as opposed to single mound appearance)
  • Droopiness
  • Failure to advice of alternative treatment options including uplift

What steps should I follow if I want to make a breast augmentation claim?

If you are unhappy with your breast augmentation, you should speak to a cosmetic surgery solicitor. They are experienced in cosmetic surgery claims and can help you get compensation for physical and emotional distress. There are certain steps to follow if you want to make a breast augmentation claim, which include:

  • Visiting a medical professional such as your GP or local hospital, so you can get a diagnosis
  • Making a list of any financial losses that have occurred
  • Speaking to a cosmetic surgery solicitor

Make sure to visit a doctor that was not involved in your breast augmentation surgery. This means you can get unbiased medical care and treatment. 

What documents will I need?

One of the most common breast augmentation claim questions and answers we hear relates to the paperwork. Your solicitor can help you collect all the evidence you will need to make a claim.

Some of the documents they may ask you to get include:

  • Photographs of any damage, swelling, bruising, or changes in your breasts after surgery
  • Medical records proving that you required medical care and attention due to poor breast augmentation surgery
  • Witness statements
  • Proof of financial loss, such as travel costs, loss of work earnings because of time off work, and medical fees

How do I get help with my breast augmentation claim?

If you need help with your breast augmentation claim, you should speak to a trusted solicitor. A cosmetic surgery solicitor will talk you through each part of your claim and help you get the compensation that you deserve following breast augmentation surgery. They can also let you know how much you may get from your claim and whether you have a case. 

If you have experienced cosmetic negligence, we are here to help. We are the UK’s first leading cosmetic claims and negligence solicitors. Contact us for advice on how you can make a claim for breast augmentation negligence on 0808 252 0175, or fill in our online contact form to request a callback


Contact Us