Breast Reduction Claims (Mammoplasty Negligence)
Reduction mammoplasty or breast reduction surgery attempts to reduce the volume and weight of breasts. It is a common operation to help women alleviate the distressing back, neck and shoulder pain that can go with large breasts.
One of the fastest growing breast cosmetic procedures in the UK, reduction mammoplasty is a leading part of the wider breast surgery area with procedures like breast uplift, breast fat transfer and particularly breast enlargement surgery increasingly sought after by women and men.
Most breast cosmetic surgery in the UK proceeds without incidents of negligence but there is now a rising number of instances where negligent breast surgery occurs.
If your breast reduction surgery has gone bad then substantial compensation can be awarded when a cosmetic surgery law firm makes a breast surgery negligence claim for you. Compensation claimed by you can help ease the physical and psychological burden of a bad breast surgery.
More About Breast Reduction Claims (Mammoplasty Negligence) Cosmetic Surgery and Breast Reduction Claims (Mammoplasty Negligence) Negligence
Breast Reductions Increasingly Popular
Breast cosmetic surgery is by far the most popular type of cosmetic surgery performed in the UK annually. With an overall increase of just over 16 per cent in the number of cosmetic procedures in the UK last year, the cosmetic industry is in a healthy position. And so are the breast reduction figures with reduction mammoplasty up 12.5% in total, 11% for women and a significant 24% rise for men according to figures from the largest industry body, the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPs). That increase makes breast reduction surgery the fourth most common cosmetic surgery procedure in the UK behind only breast augmentation, blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) and face and neck lifts in popularity.
Bad breast reduction surgery due to cosmetic surgery negligence is also becoming more frequent as some practitioners who offer cosmetic surgery reduction mammoplasty services are not sufficiently qualified. And that’s where we can help.
The first legal practice in England and Wales set up purposely to help victims of cosmetic surgery negligence; we really understand how bad the results of negligent breast reduction surgery can be for the patient. Let us assist you when your breast cosmetic surgery has gone wrong and speak today to our Head of Cosmetic Negligence Claims, Michael Saul, on 0800 634 0285 or request a call back from one of the breast surgery cosmetic claims team.
Reduction mammoplasty surgery is an invasive procedure performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes between two and five hours to complete. Breast reduction is sometimes combined with breast uplift cosmetic surgery and for more on the different types of breast cosmetic surgery read Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors’ guide to the most common breast surgery procedures in the UK here.
During a breast reduction procedure, excess breast tissue, skin and fat are removed through incisions made in the lower part of the breasts to lessen their weight and shape. The nipples are then repositioned to fit the new breast shape. Once the breasts have been reshaped, the incisions are closed with stitches which may be dissolvable.
Successful breast reduction cosmetic surgery can be positive for a patient’s ability to move freely and exercise; it can increase their self-esteem and can ensure the patient feels comfortable with how their body looks. However the increase in breast reduction cosmetic surgery procedures corresponds with a rise in breast reduction claims enquiries reported by Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors in the last twelve months due to negligent breast reduction when there is evidence of breast reduction surgery gone wrong.
If you’ve had an unfortunate experience with this type of breast cosmetic surgery or any type of breast surgery, see below on how to make a claim.
Make a Breast Reduction Surgery Claim Today
If you think your breast reduction cosmetic procedure has gone wrong, you could be entitled to compensation for the distress that you’ve been put through as well as corrective surgery. We understand that bad breast reduction surgery can have terrible emotional and financial consequences for the patient. We can advise you what options you have when you follow these simple steps to start your claim:
- Speak to our specialist breast reduction surgery claims team on 0800 634 0285
- Ask for a call back at a time that’s convenient to you and your schedule
- Tell us the details of your breast reduction gone wrong and allow Michael Saul, Partner and Head of Cosmetic Negligence Claims and his team to identify your options
- Let our medical negligence solicitors do the rest
Breast Reduction Surgery Techniques
The techniques used with reduction mammoplasty are largely the same. Breast reduction techniques differ however in the incision procedure which largely depends on the shape and size of the patient’s breast. The three main types of breast reduction techniques are as follows:
- Traditional or ‘anchor’ incision – using this breast reduction incision, the cosmetic surgeon makes three surgical cuts: around the areola, from the areola down to the crease under the patient’s breast, and across the lower crease of the breast, creating an anchor shape. Extra fat, skin, and breast tissue are removed so that the overall breast size is reduced. In this, the most common breast reduction procedure, the cosmetic surgeon then moves the nipple and areola to a higher position. Often the areola is made smaller. Patients with extremely large breasts may have to have the nipple and areola detached and grafted to the higher part of the breast. When the nipple is in its new position, the skin is pulled taut around the breast and the cosmetic surgeon stitches the incisions closed. Sometimes liposuction is combined with breast reduction surgery to improve the shape of the breast and armpit areas.
- Vertical Incision – a breast reduction incision that is less invasive than the anchor incision where the cosmetic surgeon makes an incision around the areola and cuts vertically down the breast before removing excess fat, tissue and skin. Just as with the anchor incision, the patient’s nipple is moved up the breast and the skin around the incision is pulled tight over itself and stitched closed.
- Scarless breast reduction – a reduction mammoplasty technique where the cosmetic surgeon makes tiny incisions in either the crease of the breast or in the upper outer section of the breast, close to the armpit. Liposuction techniques are then used to drain the excess fat from the breast. Once all the surplus fat has been drained, the incisions are closed.
To find out if you could be entitled to breast reduction compensation contact our specialist breast reduction claims team on 0800 634 0285 now. With our help and a winning case, your breast reduction negligence claim can lead to substantial breast surgery compensation.
When Breast Reduction Surgery Goes Wrong
Successful breast reduction cosmetic surgery can have a positive effect on self-esteem and increase the patient’s ability to move freely and exercise. But when breast reduction surgery goes wrong during surgical negligence, then the resulting problems can be severe.
When negligent breast reduction surgery happens, patients may experience a variety of symptoms that would indicate that bad breast reduction surgery may have occurred, often at the hands of a surgeon not properly qualified due to the minimally regulated nature of the industry. Below is a list of typical problems associated with breast reduction surgery going wrong and which indicate reduction mammoplasty negligence:
- Breasts remaining ptotic or droopy after the breast reduction surgery
- Ugly and unsightly scarring
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Asymmetrical nipples, where one nipple appears higher than the other
- Loss of the nipple itself or loss of nipple sensation
- Haematoma – when bleeding occurs inside your breast making it swollen and painful.
Have you experienced any of these symptoms of breast reduction surgery gone wrong? Breast reduction surgery claims can net large sums of compensation so if you have had any of the problems detailed above, then you should speak to Michael Saul at Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors today on 0800 634 0285 or request a call back from our specialist legal team to discuss the next steps in making a breast reduction surgery claim.
Speak to Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors Today
A dedicated cosmetic surgery UK law firm, Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors have an unrivalled reputation for delivering the best possible outcomes for the many patients who’ve suffered breast reduction negligence.
We can answer any questions you may have about the breast reduction surgery claims process, supporting you through what is often a very distressing experience.
If you’re a victim of breast reduction going wrong, we can help identify the impact caused by the negligent cosmetic procedure you’ve undergone and secure the right compensation for the negligence you’ve suffered.
Speak to Cosmetic Surgery Solicitors today on 0800 634 0285 or request a call back from Michael Saul or one of the dedicated breast reduction claims team.